Do you ever get your same day weed delivery order and can’t help but notice how the aroma of cannabis can help calm the mind and body? Whether it’s the sweet, smooth taste of Biscotti or the classic smell of Motor Breath, we know something is going on within the complex flavour bouquet (if just reading this has you craving, don’t forget we do weed delivery Canada-wide).
What you’re smelling are terpenes and learning about them will help deepen your appreciation for cannabis. Here at Black Rabbit, we continue our efforts to share knowledge of the ins and outs of marijuana, while offering you same day weed delivery and an accessible online dispensary Canada-wide.
Why do cannabis plants smell?
Ever wonder what gives weed its soothing and unmistakable smell? The answer comes from the aromatic molecules of cannabis called terpenes. They are secreted in the tiny resin glands of the cannabis flowers – the same glands that produce cannabinoids, like THC and CBD. Terpenes are aromatic oils that colour cannabis assortments with a distinctive flavour like citrus, berry, mint, and pine.
Why does cannabis produce terpenes?
Like most plants, the scent of cannabis plays a key role in its survival. Its primary function is to ward off predators, keep away infectious germs and attract pollinators. They’re also responsible for the plant’s regeneration and oxygenation. Considering the roles terpenes play in the plant, it makes sense that some terpenes have the potential to support your immune system by keeping away infectious germs and bacteria. Some may even have anti-inflammatory and anti-viral properties.
However, unlike other floral plants, each cannabis strain has a unique terpene, which contributes to its flavour profile.
The aroma of cannabis is subjective and will appeal to different palates. What does this mean? It simply means our bodies and brains subconsciously have a preference for a certain terpene profile, which is why we offer a variety of strains with same day weed delivery.
Can terpenes get you high?
Terpenes are small and mighty! They are packed with flavour and bring a potent aroma. While some terpenes may complement the high, terpenes themselves are non-intoxicating. Various terpenes can promote a feeling of energy, relaxation, and happiness.
Do different terpenes have different effects?
Absolutely! The difference between the effects of Indica vs Sativa is mainly the terpene profile of the plant. See below for the different, yet common effects terpenes can have on you.
- Limonene (Citrus) – Found in citrus fruit, peppermint, cloves, and other plants, limonene is highly flavorful and aromatic. Studies even show that limonene can help boost immunity. It is also believed to provide relief to stress and anxiety.
- Pinene (Pine) – As its name suggests, Pinene is the terpene behind the aroma of pine needles! It is found in trees, rosemary, dill, basil, parsley, and essentially any herb people commonly use in the kitchen. It may be useful for inflammation and/or pain.
- Caryophyllene (Peppery) – This terpene packs a punch as it is responsible for the spiciness in black pepper! It’s also found in cloves and cinnamon. It is also the only terpene known to act as a cannabinoid.
- Myrcene: (Herbal) – Highly common terpene in cannabis, but is also found in thyme, mango, and lemongrass. It gives off a sweet flavour and is thought to have a calming effect.
- Terpinolene (Fruity) – A wonderfully complex and unique aromatic terpene. This pint-sized powerhouse has a major effect on flavour and aroma. It is also found in nutmeg, tea tree, cumin, and lilacs. It’s believed to have a relaxing effect.
When browsing Black Rabbit, take notice of the colour of strains you like and don’t like. Remember, terpenes are aromatic oils that colour cannabis assortments with a distinctive flavour.
Same day weed delivery and Weed Delivery Canada-wide
Now that you are an expert on terpenes and you know what to look for on your next order, check out our same day weed delivery in Toronto (and 15 other regions in the GTA)! Don’t forget, we recently launched weed delivery Canada-wide with our new mail-order program! Hop to it!