Imagine this: The lockdown is finally over. You figured out how to buy marijuana online in Canada through Black Rabbit’s online dispensary and you’ve received same day delivery when your friend invites you to a social gathering where a bunch of people are going to hang out and smoke some weed. Smoking weed with a group of people can sound like an intimidating experience, especially if you’re relatively new to consuming cannabis. What if you get too high? Do you pass the joint to the left or the right? How many tokes are you allowed to take?
Consuming cannabis doesn’t have to be a lonely endeavor, in fact, the shared experience of smoking weed in a group setting can be just as good of a social lubricant as alcohol (minus the hangover). Since this communal activity goes way back, there are a lot of unspoken rules and guidelines that have formed to make sure participants are doing it with good manners. We’ll get you primed for proper weed etiquette so that the next time you buy weed online and head to a puff circle, you’ll seem like a seasoned vet.
Before we even make it into the circle, it’s important to understand how to set yourself up for success.
- If you’re sick… STAY HOME. Bluntly put (no pun intended), nobody wants you there if you’ve got germs to pass on.
- If you’re invited to a cannabis smoking session, don’t come empty handed. Bring some of your own!
- Optional but important: Bring snacks. To be honest, this should be a general rule in all areas of life.
- Be prepared to answer questions about the strain if you’re contributing any weed.
- If you’re bringing edibles, clearly mark what they are (potency/serving size). Be extra cautious of children and unknowing hungry humans! Extra points for anyone making their own batch – check out our recipes for brownies or cookies for some inspo.
- Know your limits, smoke within it. You don’t want to be that person.
Setting the Mood
Being aware of your surroundings will get you far in life and smoke sessions are no exception.
- Be mindful of the people around you – let’s keep an odour-free distance away from families and kids.
- Read the room – be considerate before you light one up and make sure it’s an appropriate place to do it (in a car, friend’s house, etc.)
- Sharing is caring. Extend the invite, even if you’re not sure if the others are down. You’ll never know who is down to accompany you even if it’s just for a little weed chat!
- If people aren’t down with the ganja, don’t give them a hard time about it. No peer pressure. Asking once is enough.
The Inner Circle
You’ve finally made it this far. You feel like you’ve got the best weed in Canada and are excited to be part of the rotation. Read carefully if you don’t want to get the boot!
- It’s good manners to offer the host the first hit. If not the host, then next in line would be the one who rolled the joint.
- 1-2 tokes are standard before passing it on.
- Aim your exhale – nobody likes having second-hand smoke blown into their face.
- No “doggy lipping”. Avoid leaving any saliva on the joint or the bong/pipe/vape.
- Don’t hang onto something that is burning, otherwise you’re being a wasteman and you’re wasting good weed. This is commonly referred to as “bogarting”.
- Ash the joint before passing to the left.
- It’s common to create a circle and pass the joint around (re: That ‘70s Show). With that being said, these days it’s totally fine if someone comes along and asks for a quick hit before leaving (as long as they don’t make a habit of it!).
- Extend the final courtesy and ask if anyone wants the last bit before you flick it off. Give your person to the left a heads up when it’s at the end so they’re not disappointed the end has come.
There’s a lot more to sharing pot marijuana than you think.
- If you’re using a bong, or anything other device for that manner, make sure it’s clean before you start the session.
- Canoeing: Set aside a small bowl of water nearby to wet fingers and correct a canoeing joint if needed.
- Bong/pipe/vape etiquette: “Corner the bowl” aka light the bowl on one edge to save the green for others in the circle. The first hit is full of terpenes and it’s gracious to share that with your fellow stoners.
- Paws off another person’s wax – don’t touch concentrates with your hands and especially don’t handle it if it’s not yours without asking.
- Dabs: Don’t “chazz the banger” (slang for scorching the nail so much that it overheats)
- Because dabs are more potent, warn first-timers of its intensity. Recommend specific heating times or temperatures to get them started.
After the Fact
You’re not out of the woods yet. To wrap up the social session and get an invite back, leave a good impression.
- Don’t be irresponsible – no driving, operating heavy machinery, etc.
- Respect the host’s property. Clean up if you’ve made a mess and thank the host for sharing their space.
Weed Delivery Canada-Wide
After reading this comprehensive guide to weed etiquette, we hope that it has given you the confidence to be able to consume cannabis in a group setting and possibly make it a regular social activity for you. Don’t forget to tell your friends in the circle where you get your favourite cannabis delivery from!
Black Rabbit has same day weed delivery in Toronto, Mississauga, and 14 other regions across the GTA. Live outside the GTA? Don’t worry, weed delivery Canada-wide is now available through our new mail order program. See you down the rabbit hole!