Remember at the beginning of the pandemic when everyone was in a baking frenzy (did someone say banana bread)? Well, have you ever been curious about how to make your own edibles? Black Rabbit is not just an online dispensary, we’re foodies too and if you’ve ever wondered about the process for how to make weed brownies or how to make weed tea or how to make weed butter, look no further. Today we’re going to show you how to make cannabutter and all you need is some bud, butter and time. It’s super easy (no special equipment needed), delicious AND perfect on almost anything sweet or savoury, even banana bread. Read on for our step by step guide, with visuals!
1 cup of water
1 cup of unsalted butter
1 cup of ground cannabis, decarboxylated
Pick your bud
For cannabutter and edibles in general, you don’t need to go all out on the highest quality bud. You’re more than welcome to if that’s your preference but since the goal here is to not taste the weed, it’s best to focus on strains that don’t have overly strong aroma and taste profiles. The other important thing to note is that additional factors that usually speak to the quality of the bud like density, stickiness and whether the flower was hand trimmed or tumble trimmed really don’t matter here either since the goal is to simply extract the cannabinoids from the bud. If you’re looking for some suggestions, Black Rabbit’s Select line has a bunch of great options – we particularly like Jamaican Pearl and Recon.
Decarboxylation or decarb the weed
Decarboxylation is the process of baking your weed causing the cannabinoids – THC and CBD – to activate. This step will also encourage the cannabinoids to dissolve and bind to the lipids in the butter. Here’s how to decarb weed:
- Preheat your oven to 240° F.
- Place your bud on a baking sheet and bake for 40 minutes. Shake the tray every 10 minutes or so to make sure the bud doesn’t burn. Once the bud starts to turn a brownish green colour, then the decarboxylation process is complete, and you can remove the sheet tray from the oven.
- Let the weed sit until it’s cool enough to touch. Coarsely grind or cut up your weed and set aside.
Making the cannabutter
- On low heat, melt the water and butter in a medium saucepan.
- Once the butter is melted add in your bud and stir.
- Let the mixture simmer on low heat for 3 hours. Make sure to stir every half an hour so that the butter doesn’t burn. If you have a thermometer, occasionally check to see that the temp doesn’t go above 180° F. It’s important that the mixture never comes to a boil – if the temperature gets too high you run the risk of destroying the cannabinoids and terpenes.
- After 3 hours, strain the mixture through a cheesecloth, separating any pulp from the liquid butter, into a mason jar or butter stick moulds. Canna butter can last up to six months in a fridge!
The potency of your cannabutter will ultimately depend on the strength of your bud. To test how potent the butter will be for you, start low and go slow and smear a tablespoon of butter onto a piece of toast and wait 60-90 minutes and adjust dosage accordingly.
Same day weed delivery
If after reading this you’re set on making your own cannabutter, you’re going to need some bud. We’ve got you covered! Black Rabbit has same day weed delivery in Toronto, Mississauga, and 14 other regions across the GTA. Live outside the GTA? Don’t worry, weed delivery Canada-wide is now available through our new mail order program.